Friday, June 1, 2012

Surgery Part 1

The surgeon's assistant called me on the Monday after we met with the cardiologist and wanted to see if the 30th would work for Conner's surgery. I was a little surprised. I knew the cardiologist wanted him to have it done sooner, I just didn't think it was going to be that soon. 

All the pre op stuff went pretty good. It took them a few pokes to get his blood drawn and he definitely was not liking it, but he did really good for everything else. He's pretty much a pro at getting EKGs and he laid pretty much perfectly still for his x-ray, he was mesmerized by the machine.



It was hard not letting him eat for 6 hours before the surgery. We had to be at the hospital at 5:30 in the morning and the surgery was scheduled for 7:30. 


He looked so cute in his little gown! 

The hardest part for me was giving him to the nurse and walking away. Definitely made me cry. It was tough just sitting and waiting but I did okay if I didn't think about it too much. We had an amazing nurse, Christy, who was assigned to him and she was such a huge help. She was with us for all of his pre op stuff and she came out at least once an hour during the surgery to give us an update. 
After his surgery the surgeon came out to let us know how it went and we got to get a glimpse of him as they wheeled him to his room. Christy said they needed about an hour to get him all settled in and then she would take us back to see him.

About an hour and a half later, the surgeon and the cardiologist walked into the waiting room. My heart pretty much stopped. I knew it was the doctors who delivered the bad news, pretty sure it was a result of watching too many episodes of Grey's Anatomy. I immediately thought the worst, but the first thing that the surgeon said was that he was okay but there was just a little complication. We knew that during his surgery they had found an ASD that was pretty close to the VSD but it was small and they were able to just stitch it closed. But there ended up being a little flap of tissue hiding how big it actually was so the blood was going through the hole in to the other part of the heart instead of up into the lungs to get oxygenated. I didn't understand any of it at the time, all I heard was that they needed to open him up again. 
The surgeon had another surgery scheduled so we had to wait till about 8 that night for him to go in again. Longest day ever. 

His recovery has had its ups and downs, but he's doing pretty good considering he had 2 open heart surgeries in one day. 


All of the tubes and machines are pretty intimidating and it's hard to see your baby hooked up to so much stuff. 

We have been so blessed to have Tome's parents and my mom here and my brother and sister close by to help with Owen. The support has been amazing and we know there are people everywhere praying for him. We have been so blessed! 








No comments:

Post a Comment