Thursday, February 23, 2012

Conner's heart

When the pediatrician came to check on Conner for the first time the day after he was born she told us that she could hear a little bit of a heart murmur and wanted to get an ultrasound of his heart before he left the hospital to make sure it wasn't anything serious. She said she was pretty sure it was nothing, she just wanted to be sure before she sent him home. After the ultrasound she told us that he has a vsd. She said it was the most common heart defect in newborns and more often than not they close up on their own and she wanted us to follow up with a cardiologist in a few weeks.

I honestly didn't think about it too much. When we took him to his pediatrician for his first check up he said pretty much the same thing. It will most likely close up on its own. So when we took him to the cardiologist I was sure that he was going to tell us the same thing.

They did another echo and then we went back to the room and waited for the doctor. When he came in he started asking us a bunch of questions. Did we have a level 2 ultrasound when I was pregnant. Was he premature. Does anyone in either of our families have any heart problems. Have we noticed Conner having any trouble breathing. Is he losing weight. What have we been told so far about his heart.

I was really confused. He wasn't premature. He was 10 and a half pounds when he was born and gaining weight like none other. I hadn't noticed him having any problems breathing. And so far everyone was telling us that it was pretty normal and it would close up on its own.

The doctor told us that the hole was bigger than they thought and that there's a really good chance that Conner is going to need open heart surgery to fix it.

I definitely took it a lot better than I thought I would. It's really scary finding out that your son might have to have open heart surgery, but I know that everything is going to be okay.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Kalynn I'm sorry I'm sure that is scary! I don't know if this will help, but my sister had the same thing-the hole in her heart when she was born, and a virus as well. Eventually, on Halloween in fact she had to have heart surgery so they could remove the virus and make sure everything was closing up with the hole. My mom practiced getting her ready by putting little stickers on her chest so she wouldn't freak out when they put the sensors or whatever on her chest in the hospital. By the time she had to have the surgery, she wasn't scared she knew exactly what to do...even though the rest of us quietly were haha. They even put a trick or treat bag on her door, and all the doctors and nurses would come around and visit her and put candy in her bag. I guess my point is I know this is scary, but we are all praying for you and you son, you are in good hands and things will work out! I love you!

    PS: The last deleted comment was me I just was logged in to the wrong account..haha oops!

    ReplyDelete